Here we are - 8 days into 2013! We look forward to the opportunities that are going to part of this new year - the people that we will be able to encounter and learn from. Frederic an MaryAnn Brussat are a couple who have worked hard on giving us hints on how to live well, discover values, see how best to walk the walk. Here are ten things they think could guide us in the year ahead. I think they are right on the mark!
1. I will live in the present moment. I will not obsess about the past or worry about the future.
2. I will cultivate the art of making connections. I will pay attention to how my life is intimately related to all life on the planet.
3. I will be thankful for all the blessings in my life. I will spell out my days with a grammar of gratitude.
4. I will practice hospitality in a world were too often strangers are feared, enemies are hated, and the “other” is shunned. I will welcome guests and alien ideas with graciousness.
5. I will seek liberty and justice for all. I will work for a free and a fair world.
6. I will add to the planet’s fund of good will by practicing little acts of kindness, brief words of encouragement, and manifold expressions of courtesy.
7. I will cultivate the skill of deep listening. I will remember that all things in the world want to be heard, as do the many voices inside me.
8. I will practice reverence for life by seeing the sacred in, with, and under all things of the world.
9. I will give up trying to hide, deny, or escape from my imperfections. I will listen to what my shadow side has to say to me.
10. I will be willing to learn from the teachers all around me, however unlikely or unlike me they may be.
These are some things that I hope will guide me as we continue to try to live The Mission of The Center. I hope to keep focused on them! It is always good to have a challenge as we start a new year. Happy 2013!